Salvadore was rushed to VERG Brooklyn for lethargy and tachypnea (rapid breathing).
When collecting his history, his medical team learned that the other dog in the house had been exposed to rat poison and it was clear that Sal had too. After scouring their own home and the park where they normally take their dogs, it was finally discovered that it happened while they were visiting the home of a friend (who didn’t even realize there was poison on her property).
Salvadore has made a full recovery – please check with your building, landlord, etc about how they use poison to avoid more cases like this!
This story is about one of the gentlest, kindest cats we have ever known (spend a little time with his family and it is clear why he is the way he is).
Magneto was rushed to Veterinary Emergency and Referral Group when his family noticed that he was struggling to urinate. His medical team quickly realized he a had a severe urinary block. Along with being very painful, this can also be deadly if not treated in a timely manner. The problem is that it’s hard to plan for medical emergencies, and this one is expensive to treat. His family gave everything they could towards his care but still need additional assistance. The doctors on the case reached out to Positive Tails for help. His case was quickly approved and he received treatment right away. After a couple of days he was able to go home to his super grateful family and is reported to be doing amazing at home.
Kenny was brought into VERG with an abdominal obstruction. He had swallowed something he shouldn’t, and would require surgery to save his life. This was a heartbreaking situation because Kenny has a loving family who would do anything to save him, but the cost of the surgery was more than they could afford.
Positive Tails was happy to step in to help fund Kenny’s medical care. Now Kenny is minus one corncob in his stomach, and back with his family where he belongs.
Our recent #positivetail Kitty had a traumatic 3 floor fall. While cats will often land on their feet, not this time. Kitty was rushed to Veterinary Emergency and Referral Group. On examination they realized that the tiny 3 month old Kitty would require a fracture repair which meant an expensive surgery which Kitty’s family was unable to afford. She would not heal without surgery which meant euthanasia would have to be considered.
After a brief discussion with Kitty’s Mom it was clear to her medical team how much they meant to each other. To quote her, “Having Kitty is the thing that brings me the most happiness.”
One of our most important missions at Positive Tails is keeping families together so we knew Kitty and her family needed our help so her case was quickly approved.
Dr. Coleman, #vergbrooklyn staff surgeon performed the procedure and she did amazingly well. Kitty was discharged the next day.
Antu was rushed to VERG gravely ill with pneumonia. His family was distraught and wanted to do everything possible to save him, but when they heard the cost of treatment, they weren’t able afford it. They were preparing to say goodbye when Positive Tails stepped in to help. After a week of around the clock care Antu pulled through and was discharged to his family, on his way to full recovery.
From his family: “I’m beyond grateful and will always remember…when my best friend almost died, but was saved by the kindness and good hearts of people I didn’t even know.”
Macaroni’s family realized he needed emergency care when his family realized he was struggling to urinate. They brought him to VERG medical team quickly realized he had a urinary block which was caused by bladder stones which can be deadly if not treated with a cystotomy (bladder surgery).
The surgery was more than his family could afford. They applied for assistance from Positive Tails and their case was approved. Macaroni’s surgery was a success and he was discharged a couple of days later to one very happy and relieved family.
Here he is recovering post surgery. (what a looker!)
Recent Positive Tail Rowdy was rushed to VERG for inappetence, lethargy, and diarrhea. His medical team quickly diagnosed him with the Parvo Virus. Parvo has a 90% survival rate when treated but is almost 100% deadly when left untreated.
Rowdy’s family unfortunately didn’t have the resources to cover his treatment. They reached out to Positive Tails for help and one look into Rowdy’s eyes and there was no turning his case down. We’re happy to say that after over a week of around the clock care, Rowdy improved and was discharged to his happy family. He’s expected to make a full recovery.
While Rowdy did get his #positivetail please note Parvo is completely preventable with a vaccine, so please vaccinate your dog as a means of prevention!
Harry Little wants to tell you about Positive Tails. Learn about some of the dogs, cats and people who have benefited from the life-saving veterinary care we help provide. Because we’re an all-volunteer organization, your donations go directly to help animals in need.
On Halloween Night, a Good Samaritan witnessed a dog get a hit by a car. They rushed her to the emergency room at VERG where it seemed like every part of her was broken, except for her tail that managed to wag for her doctor.